Friday, February 11, 2011

Early sakura

Look what I spotted today in front of my friend's house: 
Sakura a.k.a. cherry blossoms! In Japan cherry blossoms are a big deal and people celebrate these cute little white flowers with festivals and picnics, usually with lots of people, lots of food and lots of alcohol. I've celebrated the sakura three different times when I lived in Japan (2008, 2009, 2010) and it was always in the first week of April. But here in warm and sunny San Francisco cherry blossom season apparently is in early February! Yasu and I want to organize a hanami (flower viewing) party under the cherry blossoms in some park, but we're not allowed to drink alcohol in public here...

4 comments:

San said...

Beautiful.... I love cherry blossoms!

Louana said...

Me toooo! And I love the cherry blossom parties even more.

Lia-Louise said...

That brings back memories ne!!

Rosie [a rosie outlook] said...

They are beautiful! What a lovely blue sky too. Gorgeous snap!
xxx