Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Cupcakes and muffins

I keep on baking, some weeks more than others, but I want to become an experienced baker someday. Just before Halloween I made some bloody cupcakes with Frankenstein hair and brains, a.k.a. red velvet cupcakes with green butter cream icing. They were pretty easy with those packages from the supermarket but also extremely sweet, which makes them even more American to me. I definitely need to adjust the recipe, or start cooking them from scratch to get a less sweet result. But for a first try at cupcakes they were fun, especially messing around with icing, and edible. I read somewhere that muffins are just ugly cupcake wannabes, but my muffins definitely look prettier than my cupcakes.
I tried pumpkin spice muffins a while back, and they were okay, but small and a bit sticky. This time I didn't follow the recipe on the box (because I'd thrown away the box last time) and just did what seemed right, resulting in a thicker batter. I also kept them in the oven longer and the muffins turned out much bigger and fluffier. Great! Once I've got the baking from supermarket boxes down I'm going to move on to baking from scratch. Baby steps.

1 comment:

Lia-Louise said...

Ziet er wel erg groen uit... smaakt het ook zo groen?