Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Day with homemade guacamole

I never cook. My kitchen is smaller than my fridge, cooking in it is way too time-consuming, it is also more expensive than eating out in Japan and I’m not really good at it. I’ve tried it over and over, and I definitely plan to take it up again when I live in a place that has an actual kitchen, but for now while living in this shoebox, I’ve given it up.
Which is why Yasu never expected me to cook him a meal for Valentine’s Day! He was working all day today, which gave me an excellent opportunity to surprise him with Mexican food, including nachos his all time favorite. When he came to pick me up for dinner, he was amazed that we were staying home because I had actually cooked for him! He really loved it and I had so much fun surprising him.
This is what it looked like before I started:
This is what it looked like 3 (!) hours later, Mexican food:
This is what Yasu looked like, while eating his fajita:
Getting the ingredients for this Mexican meal together wasn’t easy. The tortillas and fajita mix where from the Netherlands, but the rest was found during one of my trips to many different Japanese supermarkets. They didn’t sell guacamole anywhere! So I decided to make my own... from scratch! And astonishingly, it was delicious!
And this is how I did it: 1) Peeled the avocado 2) Removed the huge pit 3) Mashed the avocado with a fork 4) Chopped the tomato and onion, minced the garlic, cut the lime in half, and got the sour cream out of the fridge 5) Mixed the tomato, onion, garlic, a teaspoon of sour cream and squeezed lime juice with the mashed avocado 6) Chilled the whole concoction in my tiny fridge to blend the flavors, and totally forgot to add salt and pepper...
It tasted really good with some nacho chips and on the fajitas and I was so proud of myself! So was Yasu! And he ate a lot! This was the first time we really 'celebrated' Valentine's Day together, we may just have to do that again in the future!

4 comments:

jacque4u2c said...

Great job and I can tell from his expression that he loved it as well. There is nothing better then homemade guacamole!!!!!!!!!!!

Louana said...

Thanks jacque! I liked it so much, I think I'm going to make it more often!

Lia-Louise said...

WOW!!! Zie je wel dat je kunt koken!!! Ziet er errug lekker en feestelijk uit en idd, aan Yasu te zien... het smaakt precies zoals het eruit ziet, LEKKER!!!!
Goed gedaan, ben trots op je!
DVK XXXXXXXXX

Tyggereye said...

What a great idea! Looks yummy! Now I'm hankerin' for some Mexican food. Oh no! :)