Monday, January 04, 2010

Too much medication

Our last couple of days on Guam I started to get sick, not sure what caused it, maybe it was all the freezing restaurants and the heat outside? I was on vacation and I wasn’t going to give in to sickness. So I bought a bunch of painkillers and some cold medicine to help me ignore the fact that I should be in bed. On the last day, I found a poster on a restroom wall with 10 symptoms of the swine flu, which scared me. As I was reading the list my mind yelled ‘check’ at 9 of the symptoms! Yet, I didn’t seem to suffer from fever, the most important symptom. This was confirmed at the airport in Osaka when they didn’t stop me at the body temperature scanner. So no fever, no swine flu, I reasoned. But the list of symptoms still freaked me out and I wasn’t getting any better, so today we went to see a doctor, and he gave me even more medicine to replace the store-bought medicine I was taking and which wasn’t helping.
It was a bit discouraging to have the doctor prescribe me 6 different kinds of medication, but I guess he knows what he’s doing. And he told me I don’t have the swine flu, yay! And this doctor speaks English! What a relief to be able to communicate with a doctor without Yasu constantly having to translate everything. Anyway, I hope to be back to normal soon, because I start work tomorrow and my voice is almost gone, which makes teaching a bit difficult.

No comments: