Thursday, July 24, 2008

Classroom panic

Just teaching a class when I see a small spider walking on the wall behind two of my female students. These students just happen to be looking at my face when I automatically make a slightly scared expression with my eyebrows (all insects make me very uncomfortable). The girls, seeing this, jump up simultaneously, start screaming and run to the whiteboard looking scared at the wall behind the chairs they were occupying just a second ago. They keep screaming, totally expecting to see a huge cockroach, which in their minds was the only thing that could have caused my facial expression just moments earlier. Instead they see a tiny spider moving around the wall…
All this time there is a third student in the room, a guy, who jumped up as soon as the girls did and following the girls’ example also started examining the back wall, but saw absolutely nothing (from his angle the spider was hiding behind a Jenga box). As he later shares with us, apparently he thought I’d seen a ghost and the judging by the girls’ screams they’d seen it too, but him being a male made it impossible for him to see the ghost… right. The things that go through my students’ minds…
Seconds later, when everybody finally realizes what is (not) going on, they all fill the room with roaring laughter. All the while, I can’t even speak because I’m in a corner crying as I can’t stop laughing at the total chaos in the classroom over a tiny, harmless spider, which nobody is really scared of, not even me. It took us a long time to get back to business without bursting out laughing at our own silliness.

2 comments:

Louise said...

Spinnen en insecten zijn niet je favorieten. Vooral je gezichtsuitdrukkingen...;-)
DVK XXXXXXXXXXX je moemie.

Minke said...

Ja vooral haar gezicht erbij is het 'leukste' hihi....sorry Lou....