Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Certificate of Eligibility

If a foreigner wishes to enter Japan for work he or she needs a working visa. To be granted a visa you should first obtain a Certificate of Eligibility. The Certificate of Eligibility is issued by the Regional Immigration Bureau in Japan. To obtain a Certificate of Eligibility, the applicant must ask a proxy in Japan (an employer, spouse, school, etc.) to contact the nearest Regional Immigration Bureau and make an application on his or her behalf. With the Certificate of Eligibility the foreigner can obtain a working visa from the local Japanese embassy.
I was a bit worried about obtaining my Certificate of Eligibility because of my Dutch citizenship and my Master's degree instead of a Bachelor's degree. My Master actually includes a Bachelor, but I obtained my degree in the old Dutch doctoral system at my university, which doesn't seperate the two degrees. The Certificate of Eligibility isn't supposed to be issued until a few weeks before departure, and the uncertainty of being approved (or not) by Japanese Immigration was making me a bit antsy.
But AEON NYC called me with good news this week: my Certificate of Eligibility has been issued and is on its way to me! Awesome! This means that I can go ahead and obtain my working visa soon and start wrapping my head around the fact that I am really going to Japan to teach English at AEON and be with Yasu!

I can now firmly stamp my name before the AEON logo because it is really going to happen!


Yasuhiro said...

Yes!!!! You made it!!! Congrats on the COE!! This is such an acoomplishment!! Being a Dutch citizen, and accepted to teach English in Japan. I am proud of you. mwah

ターナー said...

I'd still hesitate about showing the AEON logo, or making any mention of AEON in your blog - if they find out once you come over here to teach, they will censor you, put you on probation, or fire you if you comment on anything remotely negative about them. Hypocritical, if you ask me.

Louana said...

Turner - Yeah, I heard about that. So I'll just have to vent any frustrations I may have through another channel ;).