Thursday, February 08, 2007

The winter has finally come... and gone...

After weeks of non-winter weather, this week it finally got a bit colder and today there was an actual snow storm! It was beautiful! I was walking to the busstop from my house through heavy snowfall and the ground was covered in a thick layer of snow. Every step I took was accompanied by that wonderful squeeky noise that only snow can make. The snow was so dry I could comfortably run through the snow with my otherwise slippery shoes. It didn't take long before I turned white, but I loved every second of it! I love the winter and I hate the summer, so I was so happy winter had finally come!

At the busstop

It was snowing really hard and most people decided to stay inside. So it was really silent on the streets, sometimes a car would drive by slowly but it was like the snow drowned out all regular city noises. And I did not notice the bus until it was almost in front of me, because of the big white flakes blurring my vision.

There was a car blocking the road sideways (I have no idea how the driver had managed to get her car in such an awkward position) and she was stuck between the curbs on each side and just bopping back and forth. Our very cheerful busdriver (must be a winter-lover too) hopped out of the bus to help her push her car onto the sidewalk, thereby effectively opening up the road again.
Also the snow insipired one of our neighbors to relight his outside Christmas lights again! I guess he really missed the snow during the holidays and is trying to make up for it! Unfortunately, after work I discovered that most of the snow was already gone :(.

2 comments:

Yasuhiro said...

I can see how snowy it was there, yeah no wonder you were happy about it.
Dry snow is nice. I do not like slippery road, I drove to Rurikei in snow before, that was very scary because we didn't put any chains or snow gear on the tires.
Well, I hope winter will be back soon in your town. mwah

Louise said...

Hoe mooi sneeuw is of kan zijn, hoe lekker het voelt om er doorheen te lopen/slijden/glijden... geef mij de lekkere warmte van de zon maar!
Maar je hebt gelijk, ffkes genieten van dat beetje sneeuw heb ik ook gedaan hoor, maar ik was errug blij toen ik weer veilig thuis was!