Saturday, January 13, 2007

流和奈

Once I get to Japan I need to get an inkan, which is a stamp that can be used as an official signature in Japan. Katakana is a Japanese script used for foreign words and names, and my name in katakana looks like this ルワナ (Louana) ヴァンラタベルト (van Luttervelt). Usually they use katakana on a foreigner's inkan, but I would like to have an inkan with Kanji characters just like the Japanese do. Kanji is the complicated script Japanese use, which contains of Chinese characters, each with their own meaning. Yasu's name in Kanji is: 小寺 (Kotera) 康博 (Yasuhiro), Kotera means 'small temple' and Yasuhiro means 'calm wisdom'.
So today, Yasu and I figured out my name in Kanji. I wanted my Kanji name to have an applicable meaning and my favorite was: 流話奈. This means flowing or streaming talk, and this is very appropriate for this very talkative Dutchie, especially Yasu agreed with that as I tend to talk until his ears fall off! But apparently my name written like that looked funny to the Japanese eye, as Yasu kept giggling at the sight of it. He said it is hard to recognize it as a name and people may very likely mistake it for a sentence. So we finally decided upon 流和奈, which means flowing harmony. Sure this is also a beautiful meaning and Yasu really likes it, and he says this really looks like a name and people will not mistake it for a sentence.
We also looked at my last name in Kanji, because it is not really common to put your first name on an inkan. But my long last name in Kanji would be something like 幡裸蛇部留頭, which means a naked snake section containing a head, or something weird like that :). And if I am ever to replicate my Japanese signature by hand it will be way too hard to write for me!

1 comment:

Yasu said...

Yes I like 流和奈 the best of all. I think people here will think that is a beautiful name too. Kanji for your family name, forget it. Let me think if I can make it even funnier for a while. mwah