Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Keeping the universe in balance

Goodbye kiss
Goodbye kiss at Schiphol Airport
Whenever something miraculous happens to Yasu and me, I keep being amazed at how lucky we are and what we must have done to deserve something that wonderful. But I am also afraid of what will come next, something that will set the record straight. As I can be quite the pessimist and I always make myself realize that there is no such thing as a free lunch.

So how does the universe keep us in balance? Well, every pleasure has a price in the same manner that every dark cloud has a silver lining. Like there is always something that offers hope or benefit in a situation that is generally undesirable, there is also always something that offers misery or disadvantage in a situation that is very desirable.

A few examples: all the bonus time we were given last year, when Malaysia Airlines delayed Yasu's departure to Japan for more than a day, the price for that pleasure was continuously being on opposite sides of the world for the following 13 months. When AEON hired me as an English teacher providing me with a working visa thereby enabling me to start a life in Japan, the price was my placement in Inuyama, which is a 3-hour-and-50-euro-train-ride away from Amagasaki, oneway!

I was thinking about this on my way home today, and I think I finally accepted the Yasu-had-to-leave-before-Christmas-situation without getting furious again. As the price for the 'All You Need Is Love' dream was Yasu's way-too-early-departure a week after our reunion. Easy come, easy go.

1 comment:

Yasu said...

I find it very interesting you write about your beliefs, like this one.
Oh you put the slideshow here as a link!? That was supposed to be just for you. But that is fine totally. You can change how to see this slideshow, the theme of slideshow. I like th theme "Movie". I'll tell you how later. mwah mwah mwah