Sunday, January 11, 2004

Arrived in the States

3 days ago I set foot on American soil for the first time in my life, after my plane landed in New York City at John F. Kennedy Airport. My whole life I’ve been obsessed with this country and now I’m finally here! I’ve been very excited about coming here for a long time, still saying goodbye to my family was impossibly hard. And in the days before my departure we made sure to photograph some of our silliness so I have something to make me laugh when I feel lonely all the way in America:
The last few days I spent in Salt Lake City, visiting with some family friends and getting to know American life a bit. This morning, very early, I arrived at the huge airport in Atlanta, where an Emory student picked me up. Before taking me to Emory we stopped at IHOP (International House of Pancakes) for the worst breakfast I’ve ever had. My order included a fried egg (sunny side up) and the egg white was still see-through… yuk. Apparently this is pretty standard though, so from now on I’ll be ordering my eggs over easy.
I left Amsterdam on January 8th, and now 5 flights later I’m finally here at SPICE House on the campus of Emory University in Atlanta, in the United States of America! This will be my home for the next 4 months, because this Spring Semester I will be an exchange students at Emory University's Goizueta Business School.
SPICE House is located on Frat Row and most of its residents are international exchange students. I already met a couple of the other residents from various countries, including a rather peculiar guy from Japan who thinks I am a rude bitch… well, he’s probably right. Anyway, I can’t wait to start my American adventure, and meet some American students!
SPICE House

No comments: